Be crowd safe
Unexpected things can happen when going into mass crowd areas such as concerts or large crowds during nerd, pop culture convention and events. Follow these tips to help stay safe and be prepared.
- Stay hydrated and never pass up an opportunity to use a toilet.
- Make sure you know where the exits are. Evacuation and emergency exits may be in unexpected places.
- Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Wear the right shoes and don’t carry anything you can’t lose.
- Carry water and handkerchief (If applicable to the venue you’re going to)
- Pay attention to the energy of the crowd and calmly leave the vicinity if you have any doubts about anything.
- Refrain from excessive alcohol use.
- Have a meetup plan: Should something happen at the event, everyone in your group should have an evacuation plan and an area to head to when trouble starts.
- Choose a meeting spot for you and your friends, in case anyone gets separated from the group. Do not count on your cellphones for this purpose since cell networks get congested.
- Do not offer personal information to unsolicited requests.
- Stay to the edges of the crowd if possible.
- Pay attention, look around and be aware of your situational awareness at all times.
- Keep your cool.
We recommend all convention staff members and motivated attendees to be crowd manager certified. It is a fantastic way to learn what you can do to help mitigate and prevent crowd rush and make conventions and events safer.